The Enterprise Development Unit, otherwise known as EDU, is an education, training and skills development unit wholly owned by the Durban University of Technology (DUT).
DUT is a public higher education institution formed as a result of the merger between the Natal Technikon and the ML Sultan Technikon. DUT wishes to position itself as an academic institution of choice that excels in teaching, research and community engagement. Each of these activities is pursued through close interaction with the institution’s environment: industry, business, and the community.
DUT wishes to cultivate and nurture these links because in doing so it strengthens its ties with industry. It is for these reasons that the Enterprise Development Unit was established. In this manner, the University is then able to play a key role in skills development and in SMME development, both areas that are important to employment creation and growth in the country.
EDU is a recognized leader in the industry and has built an incredible record over the past years by providing excellent service to its clients in Southern Africa and abroad. EDU also extends to the provision of various kinds of training such as short courses, learnerships, SMME Development and other types of skills development provisions. The Unit has consequently developed an infrastructure, management structure, systems and processes which are able to adequately provide direction, leadership, strategic planning, management and access to resources for all Skills Development projects locally, provincially, and nationally.
This efficient and cost-effective infrastructure has been used to deliver many programs to date with the assistance from our University entities, such as:
- Technology, Innovation and Partnerships
- Faculty of Accounting and Informatics
- Faculty of Applied Science
- Faculty of Arts and Design
- Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Technology Transfer and Innovation
- International Education and Partnership
- Postgraduate Development and Support
- Procurement Department
The EDU vision is to empower people in a sustainable, deliverable and tangible manner.
It seeks projects that have a strong social entrepreneurial component, that benefit society, which build and enhance the DUT brand.
- To be a significant contributor to the Skills Revolution by offering world-class skills development services.
- To develop and maximise business and individual portfolios that are above sustainable best practices that plays a transforming role in Skills Development.
- To serve the needs of developing societies within a dynamic global context.
- Accountability to all stakeholders
- Dialogue and openness
- Quality service to customers/partners
- Learning & innovation
- Respect for people
- Ethical approach to business
134 Steve Biko Road
Tel: 031 373 6438 / 6991
Fax: 086 540 3783
The following depicts the EDU corporate structure:
Professional Bodies Studies
The global economy has seen a boom in international trade and industry which has led to the growth of significant job opportunities in these sectors. With this rapid growth, rewarding job opportunities have opened up for individuals who are trained in and possess internationally recognized qualifications.
Due to globalization there is an immense opportunity for young South Africans to take part in the world of global commerce. The Professional Bodies Studies programmes are highly regarded in the marketplace and provide students with an excellent base for a rewarding career.
As a commercial arm of the University, the Unit is therefore accredited and registered with the following Professional Bodies to offer their respective learning programmes:
- IMM Graduate School of Marketing – IMM GSM
- Chartered Secretaries Southern Africa – CIS
- Institute of Certified Bookkeepers – ICB
EDU has adopted the ‘Lead Agency’ model in which it serves as the Lead Agency and undertakes responsibility for overall project management and deliverables in respect of provincial partners. The benefits accruing to this approach include:
- Clear distinction in roles and responsibilities
- Increased quality control and maintenance of standards
- Project Steering Committee structure facilitates formal and informal communication between and across the service providers ensuring a better flow of information and better responsiveness to problems and standardization of delivery and assessments across learner groups and work places
- This approach involves industry partners from the beginning of the project-planning phase, to encourage a sense of ownership, and to foster a strong commitment to the programme.
Our Commitment to Empowerment
EDU prides itself in actively transforming and holistically contributing towards the skills revolution within the South African economy.
EDU adopts the following key principles during any training intervention:
- Face to face facilitation is provided by a qualified trainer
- Teaching Aids (data-projectors, white boards, flip charts etc.) are used to make facilitation more interactive
- Practical exercises are used during the duration for the training to ensure that delegates understand the concepts being taught
We pride ourselves in that our facilitators are highly qualified and experienced individuals.
Each delegate upon completion of the course will receive an attendance certificate or a certificate of competence, from the Durban University of Technology (Pty) Ltd – EDU.