Head of Department: Ms R J Hansmann
All departmental queries to:
Secretary: Mrs. V Rabbiechun
Tel No: 031 373 2673
Fax No: 031 373 2806 / 086 674 1456
Location of Department: Steve Biko Campus, S Block 3, Level 4, Room BS 3605.
All Faculty queries to:
Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
Faculty officer: Mrs Neetha Singh
Tel No: 031 373 2718
Fax No: 031 373 2719
Location of Faculty office: Steve Biko Campus, S Block 4, Level 3
Vision and Mission
The Department of Town and Regional Planning recognises the need to effectively respond to the socio-economic transformation challenges facing South Africa. The Department is committed to the principle of autonomy, academic freedom and rejects any form of racism, sexism and/or sectarianism. We are committed to developing a planning profession that is relevant and appropriate to the needs of the community, government, planning institutions and the private sector. We support building a student focused Department that places the student at the centre of learning and teaching to develop lifelong learning pathways in the field of Town and Regional Planning.
The Department therefore aims to offer a service to its students in the following ways:
- To develop curricula and syllabi which are relevant and appropriate to the needs of the country undergoing socio-economic transformation;
- To reach out to communities where possible, by way of practical projects, and to make this information accessible to interested constituency groups;
- to redress the imbalances of the past especially in respect of race, gender, class and any other form of social imbalance, through appropriate equity policies;
- to develop and refine technological and research methodologies relevant to development and planning;
- to continuously monitor and evaluate planning, teaching and learning methodologies to ensure effective planning education;
- to actively participate in developing student centered learning pathways throughout their educational experiences and as lifelong learners.
National Diploma: Town and Regional Planning (NDTRP2) SAQA 72270, NQF 6
Bachelor of Technology: Town and Regional Planning (BTTRP1) SAQA 73689, NQF 7
The purpose of the qualifications offered in Town and Regional Planning is to provide professional and technical education leading to a qualification and professional recognition as identified by the Planning Profession Act of 2002.
To achieve this purpose, the Department of Town and Regional Planning provides the opportunity for learners to develop their skills, knowledge and application thereof, within the context of social responsibility and sustainable development through the following broad curricula guidelines:
- the use of social science theory as an analytical framework in which to understand, conceptualise and analyse society, politics, process, the environment and context of development;
- the application of design as a spatial tool for developing human settlement processes, land use and physical development;
- economic issues and context as they relate to development;
- the environmental and sustainability challenges for planning and society;
- the legal framework in which planning functions;
- management processes as it relates to the built environment;
- ethics and values that underpin the profession;
- developing life skills.