Biomedical and Clinical Technology Handbook
Entry Requirements for Biomedical and Clinical Technology
Biomedical Technology Staff
Clinical Technology Staff
Sites of Interest
Snapshots of Biomedical Technology Programme
Important News regarding the phasing in of the Bachelor of Health Sciences: Medical Laboratory Science (BHSc: MLS) and the phasing out of the Bachelor of Technology: Biomedical Technology (B Tech: Biomed Tech)
The Biomedical Technology programme at DUT will be offering the Bachelor of Health Sciences Degree (BHSc) as from 2018. The BHSc qualification is a four-year professional degree that is internationally recognised which enables the student to specialise in one of the designated categories offered by the University.
National Diploma: Biomedical Technology
The last intake of the ND: Biomedical Technology was in 2017 and there will be no further intake as the BHSc will be offered as from 2018.
Bachelor of Technology (BTech)
The final intake for the B Tech degree will be in 2019; thereafter it will be phased out. Students that are keen on completing the B Tech degree should register on or before 2019 to meet this deadline.
In 2008, due to restructuring, the Biomedical Technology and the Clinical Technology programmes were amalgamated into one department called the Department of Biomedical and Clinical Technology. Prior to this they existed as two separate departments with separate Heads of Department etc.
The department is managed overall by the HOD. Each programme has a programme co-ordinator who deals mainly with academic management of the programme.
The Department of Biomedical and Clinical Technology is made up of a dynamic team of Medical Technologists and Clinical Technologists.
Our vision is to be the leading department in the Faculty of Health Sciences and the Durban University of Technology in providing socially responsive education for the development of health care graduates who are able to become leaders in the provision of high quality patient care.
The department of Biomedical and Clinical Technology is committed to student-centered approaches to teaching, learning, assessment and research within a dynamic and authentic real-world environment, whilst promoting and upholding professional values and ethics in response to needs of the community and the profession. We are also committed to continued education and professional development of staff, students and alumni.
The graduate attributes as per our programme overview are listed below:
- Use a range of information technologies to identify, gather and disseminate information.
- Engage in the generation of new knowledge in their specialist professional disciplines and academic fields which will be investigated and recorded scientifically.
- Work independently, identify, critically analyse and solve problems in their professional, individual and societal environments
- Lead and effectively manage team members in an organisation and within their communities.
- Be aware of cultural diversity and show respect to indigenous knowledge, cultures and values.
- Think critically and have excellent decision making skills including awareness of personal strengths and limitations.
- Communicate effectively within the health care and educational environment, using visual, mathematical and/or language skills in the modes of oral and or written presentation.
- Use science and technology effectively and critically, showing responsibility towards the environment and health of others.
- Participate as responsible citizens in the life of local, national and global communities.
Bachelor of Health Sciences in Medical Laboratory Science Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Technology Biomedical Technology Entrance Requirements
Master of Technology Biomedical Technology Entrance Requirements
Doctor of Technology Biomedical Technology Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Health Science in Clinical Technology Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Technology Clinical Technology Entrance Requirements
Master of Technology Clinical Technology Entrance Requirements
Doctor of Technology Clinical Technology Entrance Requirements
Postgraduate Support and Research
Undertaking postgraduate studies is an exciting prospect. Many undertake such studies to fulfil their will to continue learning and to contribute to the broader knowledge base. However, some may feel that the process is challenging, especially if there is a long gap between their prior qualification and their current studies. They may require some support in this process. We will provide support for all postgraduate students by way of the following workshops:
- Postgraduate Preparatory Workshop: Covering the following: Developing a research proposal, Student-supervisor relationship, Postgraduate Housekeeping, Research Ethics
- Scientific Writing
- Information Resources
Programmes and PG Courses offered and entrance requirements
For a Master’s Degree the procedure and requirements are as follows:
The entrance requirement for a Master of Health Sciences in Medical Laboratory Science is the Bachelor of Health Sciences in Medical Laboratory Science or an equivalent qualification such as a B Tech in Biomedical Technology or any other equivalent honours degree in laboratory medicine. Please note that an equivalent qualification requires an application for conferment of status.
The entrance requirement for the Master of Health Sciences in Clinical Technology is the Bachelor of Health Sciences in Clinical Technology or an equivalent qualification such as a B Tech in Clinical Technology or equivalent honours degree. Please note that an equivalent qualification requires an application for conferment of status.
For a Doctoral Degree the procedure and requirements are as follows:
The entrance requirement for the Doctor of Medical Laboratory Science is the Master of Health Sciences in Medical Laboratory Science or equivalent qualification. Please note that an equivalent qualification requires an application for conferment of status.
The entrance requirement for the Doctor of Medical Clinical Sciences is the Master of Health Sciences in Clinical Technology or equivalent qualification. Please note that an equivalent qualification requires an application for conferment of status.
- Post Graduate application form 2018
- General information to Postgraduate students in the Department
- Conferment of status form
- Concept Template
- Guidelines for Concept document
Colleagues from both state and private laboratories and hospitals where our students are employed. Besides collaboration within the Faculty of Health Sciences and the DUT we also have links with colleagues from local, national and international Universities and Universities of Technology.
Departmental Post Graduate Co-ordinator:
Dr Pavitra Pillay (PhD)
Tel: +27 031 373 5423
Head of Department:
Dr R Prakaschandra
Tel: 031 373 6885
Location: M L Sultan
Secretary: Mrs B Nene
Tel: 031 373 5411
Fax: 031 373 5295
Location: MB 2-9 ML Sultan Campus