Head of Department: Mr D Askew BTech: Med. Orth. & Prosth.(TUT)
All department queries:
Tel: 031 373 6723
Location of Department: Wentworth Hospital / Room AB-0305 / Block B, ML Sultan Campus, DUT
A progressive Department in Southern Africa that advances education, research and service provision in the orthotics and prosthetics health sector through innovative programme delivery.As a newly implemented course, the Department of Orthotics and Prosthetics aims to fulfill the demands of this specialised profession by training its students to high standards, comparable to institutions of the same nature across the world.
To provide high quality training to students who will ultimately serve the orthotics and prosthetics needs of Southern Africa. To promote first-class teaching, learning, research, and community engagement in order to be a training service provider of choice for students, whilst maintaining the reputation of the DUT as a model of knowledge empowerment; To produce a well-rounded and competent graduate who will be a productive citizen fully able to integrate into society, and who will function efficiently and effectively in a dynamic global environment.
- To strategically position the department in the Higher Education sector.
- To advance education and research in orthotics and prosthetics.
- To enrich teaching and learning in orthotics and prosthetics through mechanisms designed for continuous improvement.
- To continually advance scholarship and expertise of all stakeholders.
- To partner with, and engage in, community advancement initiatives.
- To adopt an ethos of excellence in Higher Education.