Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
Purpose Statement: Bachelor of Technology: Engineering: Electrical
The purpose of the BTech in Electrical Engineering is to broaden and deepen the knowledge base acquired in the National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical (Light Current) and to consolidate concepts and theories through substantive experimental and design projects. This qualification is intended for electronic engineering technicians working in the instrumentation, control and communications related industries.
The engineering profession contributes to the technical, social, economic and environmental infrastructure of the country, leading to socio-economic growth. A framework of engineering qualifications develops the human resources essential for sustaining the profession. Within that framework, this qualification is designed for the development of engineering technologists to enhance a student’s knowledge within a specialized discipline. At present the fields of Instrumentation and Control, Electronic Communications and Computer Systems are offered. In all of these fields, an emphasis is placed on the need to be professional and to function at the level of a Technologist.
A graduate with this qualification will be able to:
- Apply engineering principles to systematically diagnose and solve ill-defined problems in an engineering environment within a chosen field of specialization.
- Communicate technical, supervisory and general management information effectively.
- Apply management principles and concepts to manage projects and/or operations within an engineering environment.
- Conduct and manage a research/development project.
- Exercise independent technological judgment and responsible decision making by taking into account the relevant financial, economic, commercial, social, environmental and statutory factors.
The qualified person will be able to register with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) as a Candidate Engineering Technologist in the field of Electrical Engineering.
MINIMUM ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:
- National Diploma: Engineering: Electrical (Light Current) or National Diploma: Engineering: Computer Systems
- Credits must be obtained for all prerequisite modules as listed in the relevant field of study, prior to first time registration for the degree.
NOTE: Phase Out information for the Bachelor of Technology: Engineering: Electrical
As gazetted in the Government Gazette, Vol. 613, No. 40123, 06 July 2016, the last date for first time entering students enrolling in academic programmes that are not aligned with the Higher Education Qualifications Sub-Framework is the 31st December 2019. This means that you will not be able to enrol for a Bachelor of Technology (BTech Degree) at DUT, or at any other Institution in South Africa after this date.