Technology Transfer and Innovation
Welcome to the Durban University of Technology Centre for Entrepreneurship & Innovation
The center´s goal is to nurture entrepreneurial thinking and action through education, training and business start-up support measures. Our center is open not only for our students but also to alumni, youth, community members and partners who share the same interests with DUT and are interested in establishing a mutually beneficial agreement with DUT.
Through its innovative strategies, training and mentorship programmes, the Center aims to develop successful and sustainable student and community enterprises. Whether you are in Applied Sciences, Health Sciences, Engineering and the Built Environment, Management Sciences, Arts and Design or Accounting and Informatics field, you are welcome to register and make contact with the Center staff. We will assist you to convert your business idea into a commercially or socially viable product, service or will help you develop your innovative idea further.
What you can expect from us:
- Coaching, mentoring and supporting entrepreneurs in all stages of their projects. No matter where you are starting from: We guide you through a structured process step by step.
> ENACTUS – International Student Projects
> Ideation – Developing and evaluating first innovative ideas
> Pre-Incubation – Preparing the foundation of your company
> Incubation – Establishing your company
> Post-Incubation – Further accompaniment while growing your company
- Providing a wide range of specific training programmes and courses for entrepreneurs
- Supporting obtaining intellectual property (patents)
- Providing access to labs and machinery, including laser-cutters, 3-D printers etc. for building and testing prototypes
- Arranging business plan competitions
- Assisting in writing professional business plans
- Arranging participation in worldwide student projects including coaching (ENACTUS)
- Nationwide and international networking with other entrepreneurs and business people
- Providing funding and financing opportunities for Student Entrepreneurs and access to a network of investors and venture capitalists for all businesses undergoing our incubation programme
- Support for innovation and product development and consultation services with relevant Faculty and expertise
Everybody is cordially invited to contact us.
Please register below to receive further information and meet one of our supervisors or to login to your personal account.
Building Entrepreneurs and Innovators is a priority for South African higher education institutions as aligned to the National Development Plan (NDP) 2030 as well as the Entrepreneurial Development in Higher Education Programme (EDHE) initiated through the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and hosted by Universities South Africa (USAf). This is also aligned with ENVISION 2030 which has two DNA strands that will ensure our people are innovative and entrepreneurial as well as engaged. In terms of supporting innovation and entrepreneurship, the University put a plan in place to establish entrepreneurial support structures and infrastructure in 2018. Part of the process to-date has been building up the basic entrepreneurial programmes and support required to support our students as part of an established University wide incubation programme. This, we believe, will contribute to social economic development and job creation. As part of consolidating our focus and resources we are establishing an “umbrella” Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, that is yet to be named that will bring together existing entrepreneurial entities within DUT.
For any Technical Support or Queries call:
Tel +27 31 373 2523 (Durban)
+27 33 845 9057 (Midlands)
Department of Entrepreneurial Studies
The Department of Entrepreneurial Studies at the Durban University of Technology strives to provide a quality educative experience including innovative curriculum development and teaching excellence, taking into consideration the needs of all learners by providing an environment that encourages and rewards excellence, appropriate market research, the identification of small business opportunities, and support and mentorship of small business development.
To achieve this, the department seeks to fulfill the following:
- promote the intellectual, emotional, social and technological capacities of educators and learners so that they realise their highest potential as lifelong learners and researchers, managers and leaders in industry.
- actively engage with communities for the exchange of relevant expertise and capacities which will expose learners to the business environment and develop integrated learning opportunities relevant to the needs of industry.
- actively pursue new knowledge by research, conference attendance and meetings with industry.
- actively promote the department in conjunction with the other institutions of higher learning as a regional centre of excellence with respect to entrepreneurship and small business management.
The Department of Management actively promotes the department in conjunction with the university as a regional centre of excellence with respect to Management studies and service industries. The Department is dedicated to : equipping the students with study skills and abilities for long term learning and to develop their leadership capacity, actively pursuing new knowledge by research, conference attendance and meetings with commerce and industry, which would update the appropriate courses of the programme and To encourage graduates to engage in management research.
Our dedication further focuses on: advancement in the use of new technologies and knowledge by encouraging the students to apply the skills developed by the programme, to continually encourage both students and staff to use and apply the new technologies and knowledge to organizations, to actively promote the Department in conjunction with the University as a regional centre of excellence with respect to management studies, to utilize the latest technological means of communication to disseminate knowledge of both students and industry.
The Management Department has the role of providing education in management theory and techniques. The primary qualifications offered are National Diploma: Management and Bachelor of Technology: Business Administration. Our intention is to develop students to be able to manage both people and work in any type of organization. This qualification is intended for middle managers within any business environment. Persons achieving this qualification will be competent in applying management strategies and tools, systems and techniques, in a wide variety of profit and non-profit organisations.
Centre For Social Entrepreneurship
Igniting social entrepreneurship using innovative strategies in order to address socio-economic challenges and create a fair and just society.
To commit to developing and promoting sustainable social entrepreneurship through mentorship and strategic partnerships with Industry, Government, Community and Educational Institutions.
- Developing social entrepreneurship within communities through mentorship and other innovative strategies.
- Developing social entrepreneurship at the University through student engagement, partnerships with relevant stakeholders and research.
- Developing a curriculum for social entrepreneurship at the University to promote social entrepreneurship as a means of addressing social challenges and creating a fair and just society.
The Centre for Social Entrepreneurship (CSE) was established at Durban University of Technology (DUT) in July 2015 in partnership with the National Department of Small Business Development (DSBD). Seda has been mandated to monitor and evaluate the progress of CSE’