Departments Applied Sciences
WELCOME TO THE DEPARTMENT OF CLOTHING & TEXTILE STUDIES
Fabric formation and clothing is an integral part of human history. Textile production is a mixture of science and arts. With an increased demand for high performing textiles and clothing, there is a need especially to understand the science behind raw material composition and the fundamentals of fabric structures. With all the technological advances, Textile and Clothing Industries and textile value chains require knowledgeable personnel to perform various tasks in a highly automated and complex environment.
The Department of Clothing and Textile Studies offers various qualifications in the field of Textile Science, Textile Technology and Clothing Management, that are primarily industry specific, but opportunities exist for successful candidates to pursue post graduate studies and research in the field of Textile Science and Apparel. The Department is equipped with modern equipment required for educating learners and boasts a complement of highly qualified and competent academic and support staff.
Leading Textile Science and Apparel Technology Scholarship for Global Competitiveness
To educate and produce professional and well trained graduates in Textile Science and Apparel Technology, Through:
1. Quality Teaching and Learning
2. Research, Engagement and Partnerships, and
Integrity, Commitment, Accountability, Fairness, Professionalism, Compassion
QUALIFICATIONS OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
Programmes are offered in this Department which will, upon successful completion, lead to the award of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree (BSc) – Textile Science
- Bachelor of Applied Science Honours Degree (BSc Hon) – Textile Science (TBA)
- Diploma in Textile Technology
- Advanced Diploma in Textile Technology
- Diploma in Clothing Management
- Advanced Diploma: Apparel Technology (TBA)
- Post Graduate Diploma: Apparel Technology (TBA)
|Head of Department: Dr Akbar Fassihi
Tel: 031 373 2148
Location: S6 L4
Campus: Steve Biko Campus
|Secretary: Ms Reshma Sewpersadh
Tel: 031 373 2812
Fax: 031 373 2876
Location: S6 L4
Campus: Steve Biko Campus
1. Textile Science and Technology Programmes
Textiles are an integral part of our everyday lives. The advancements in product development has made textile fabric performance a pivotal element in areas such as Medical, Automotive, Technical, Apparel, Household and Geotextiles.
The textile industry values an analytic and disciplined individual. These qualifications will build on your skills to prepare you for future careers across the textile fields. You will be equipped to address and help solve the technical challenges that confront the textile production environment in fields such as textiles for apparel, niche areas of technical, medical and household textiles; through specialized technical know-how combined with traditional engineering knowledge.
What makes DUT unique is that it is the only Higher Educational Institution to offer BSc Degree, Diploma and higher qualifications in Textile Science and Technology, where you will develop in Math, Science and various textile related manufacturing disciplines which lead to specialization in either the Product Development and Production, or in the Colouration and Chemistry of Textile Materials.
After 3 years you could be employed in a textile manufacturing company in various divisions such as planning, production, quality control, research and development, sales and marketing.
Other areas of employment are:
- Agencies for textile products and machinery (domestic or abroad) – The major fashion retail stores – Government sectors such as SABS, CSIR, and Customs
- To develop and nurture students into professionals within the global textile industry that will innovate textile products and processes and embody social, ethical and environmental responsibilities.
- To produce graduates with the ability to apply their knowledge and skills as critical thinkers and be a valued member in an organisation.
2. Clothing Management Programmes
Clothing and Textile sector is identified as an important sector for job creation in South Africa. Clothing manufacturing companies are becoming increasingly automated and are using modern equipment and computers in the managing and manufacturing functions to increase performance and productivity. The clothing industry revolves around rapid turnaround time and is highly competitive.
Clothing Manufacturers and Retailers in South Africa are seeking skilled graduates who are equipped to work in such environment.
This qualification develops students’ knowledge and skills relating to the technology of sewn products. This includes design development and production through to sales, as well as the management and business skills required for a career in the apparel value chain. Subject areas are comprehensively integrated. A student must show consistent growth in knowledge and skills in order to succeed. The subject areas are designed to “grow” the student in a personal capacity, and to promote his or her entrepreneurial development and abilities, as well as to gain the technical knowledge required.
Job opportunities exists in the apparel and other related industries for graduates in management, product development, production, work study, planning, quality, garment technology and other areas.
Employment in South Africa is available in four main industrial areas:
- Formal manufacturers (established apparel manufacturers)
- Informal sector (small to micro enterprises and entrepreneurs)
- Retail (centralized buying and store management)
- Allied industries (footwear, training, selling equipment and computers)
Opportunities also exist for self-employment. Graduates can pursue further qualifications in management, entrepreneurship, retail, quality or education.