Departments Management Sciences
- Applied Law
- DUT Business School
- Entrepreneurial Studies and Management
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Human Resources Management
- Marketing and Retail
- Operations and Quality Management
- Public Management and Economics
- Public Relations Management
- Short Courses
- Wholesale & Retail Leadership Chair
- FMS Postgraduate Studies
HOD Positions Available
DEPARTMENT OF OPERATIONS AND QUALITY MANAGEMENT
We aspire to produce graduates that are innovative, entrepreneurial, adaptive and capacitated to enhance productivity, improve product and service quality and contribute to research in the field of Operations and Quality Management.
To achieve our vision, we will:
- Employ a broad range of pedagogical approaches to support student’s acquisition of knowledge and the required skill set.
- Adopt DUT values and principles to engender a student centric teaching and learning experience.
- Provide an enabling environment through quality assured, innovative programmes that are informed by the needs of industry and society.
- Undertake research to improve practice and enhance disciplinary knowledge.
- Ensure that all qualifications are approved and certified by the relevant authorities.
- Engender a focussed approach to staff development and growth and provide support so that staff can improve their qualifications.
- Ensure that research is aligned to South Africa’s sustainable developmental goals and is directed towards solving problems in industry or society.
- Reduce staff/student ratios by optimising full-time to part-time staff appointments, within the constraints of a sustainable business model.
- Strengthen the linkage between the department and industry by ensuring that the industry advisory board functions optimally.
- Ensure that all programmes are fit for purpose through programme design reengineering and decolonising the curriculum through continuous improvement.
- Internationalise the curriculum by attracting international students to study locally as well as delivering programmes for students abroad.
- Nurture existing relationships and build new relationships with industry and other universities.
- Monitor programme performance through Academic Performance Review and the Annual Quality Reporting
- Embrace the 4th Industrial revolution in in Teaching, Learning and Assessments
Manufacturing industries in South Africa play an important role in the South African economy as it employs a large percentage of the labour force. Job opportunities, therefore, are great in this sector. Within the manufacturing sector the greater portion of the workers are engaged in the Production Function which includes specialist fields such as Quality Control, Work Study, Production Planning and Control, Inventory Control, Operations Research, etc.
This Diploma prepares students to enter any of the specialist fields in production or to go directly into supervision of workers and thereafter as Production / Operations Managers. Although experiential training is not compulsory, every effort is made to expose students to manufacturing organisations in factories.
PROGRAMMES OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT
ADVANCED DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT SCIENCES OPERATIONS
ADVANCED DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT SCIENCES QUALITY
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA MANAGEMENT SCIENCES QUALITY
MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY IN QUALITY MANAGEMENT
POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT SCIENCES OPERATIONS
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN BUSINESS QUALITY MANAGEMENT
Driving Operations and Quality Excellence