Steeped in history, Durban University of Technology’s (DUT’s) City Campus this year turned a 110 years old. The landmark building which has stood the test of time celebrated its centenary in 2010. With the contribution of the National Lottery Distribution Trust Fund, the City Campus Restoration Project took place. The project included renovating the ancient building’s roof and as well as restoring other parts of the architecturally gorgeous building.
In December of 2010, numerous events were held to commemorate a 100 years of City Campus. These included the unveiling of two plaques by guests of honour the then KZN Provincial MEC of Education, the Honourable Mr Senzo Mchunu and Professor Vevek Ram, CEO of the National Lotteries Board.
Other notable commemorative activities were a centenary publication, student festival and an exhibition.
Titled, Celebrating 100 years of City Campus, the exhibition was held at the DUT Art Gallery and was open to the general public.
The exhibition included timeline banners outlining the growth of the university, colour and black&white images printed on canvas and an audio DVD looking at the activities at the Natal Technical School.
City Campus’ foundation stone was laid by Queen Victoria’s son, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn on 03 December 1910. The building was officially opened on 10 August 1912 for use by staff and students of the then Durban Technical Institute. Over the years the university has had a number of name changes.
The 110-year-old building is one of Durban’s oldest heritage sites and listed as a historical monument by eThekwini Municipality.
Today, the City Campus building which houses the DUT Faculty of Arts and Design still retains its original architectural design.
1907-1912 Russell Street building Durban Technical Institute
1910 Foundation Stone laid of the first “City campus” building
1912 “City Campus” building opening ceremony
1915 name changed to Durban Technical College
1922 name changed to Natal Technical College
1968 name changed to Natal College for Advanced Technical Education
1979 name changed to Technikon Natal. This remained the name of the institution until the merger in 2002 when it first became the Durban Institute of Technology and later the Durban University of Technology.
Picture by Uthasho Photography.
Pictured: The DUT City Campus building which houses the Faculty of Arts and Design.