- SRC Online Elections 2021
- Amended Academic Calendar 2021
- How do I apply?
- Closing Dates for 2022 programmes
- Application and Registration Information 2021
- Study Opportunities 2022
- Career Leaflets
- Online Acceptance For First Time Prospective Students
- Virtual Autumn Graduation 2021
- House Committee Elections
- Court Order – Forums Threat
- ENVISION 2030
- Late Enquiries for a Programme Form
- Why Choose DUT
- Fees Booklet
- “Missing Middle” application form
- NSFAS New Students
- Honorary Doctorates
- DUTLink Newsletter
- DUTCONNECT Magazine
- Lecture Timetables
- Association of Commonwealth Universities
Our Facebook Page
The Disability Rights Unit operates within Department of Student Governance & Development under Student Services Sector and supports students with disabilities in the University setting.
- It provides within its available means appropriate advise and academic support to students with disabilities thereby making access to education fair and equitable.
- General advocacy for students living with disabilities.
- Health related support to students living with disabilities.
- Support for students to navigate and liaise with academic environment.
- Liaison with financial resources available.
- Referrals to psychotherapy and psychological services.
- Assistance of students living with disabilities during registration.
- Assistance of students living with disabilities with residence accommodation.
- Assistance of students living with disabilities with confirmation of status.
- Register with the Disability Rights Unit as early as possible and submit documentation of disability as a prerequisite to receiving academic accommodations.
- “Letters of Accommodation” that detail your disability-related needs may be discussed with lecturers and other relevant faculty members only with the student permission.
- Make timely applications for test and examination arrangements.
- Provide for personal disability-related needs or services such as personal care attendants, Interpreters and Scribes.
- All requests to be submitted to the DRU.
PROCEDURE TO CLAIM FOR ASSITIVE DEVICES -A/S by Students with Disabilities (SWD) funded by NSFAS
- Request Quotation from the supplier with the student name, number and the supplier banking details.
- Attach copy of your ID.
- Submit the above documents to the Disability Rights Unit.
- Payments will be paid directly to the Supplier.
- Student to check their fee statement for any payment transaction.
PROCEDURE TO CLAIM FOR HUMAN SUPPORT-H/S e.g.(Scribe,Care Giver or Interpreter)
- Download the Human Support Claim form on the NSFAS/Disability website and complete it.
- Make sure the form is signed by both parties (Student + H/S) and Stamped by the Disability Rights Unit.
- Attach copy of your ID and of the Human Support person/s
- Attach Human Support person/s proof of banking details or bank statement
- Detailed contract between both parties should be signed, and it must clearly specify commencement date, the duties, the terms and conditions.
- Above documents should be submitted to the Disability Rights Unit
Forms available at DRU
- DRU Registration form.
- Skip a Q letter.
Power of Words
- Language can be used as a powerful tool to bring about change and bring about new values, attitude and social integration at the same time, thoughtless language can re-inforce stereotypes and labelling of disabled people.
- To this end check the list of acceptable and unacceptable terminology to use when referring to people with disabilities. This will help ensure the way we speak does not compound the social marginalization of people with disabilities.
DBN Contact Person: Gugu Sacolo
Tel: 031 373 2551
Location: Library Complex, 1st Floor, Room No: BC 0229
Campus: Steve Biko Campus
PMB contact person: Thobeka Shozi – Nxumalo
Tel: 033 845 8809/8880
Campus: Riverside Campus