- Amended Academic Calendar 2021
- How do I apply?
- Closing Dates for 2022 programmes
- Application and Registration Information 2021
- Study Opportunities 2021
- Career Leaflets
- Online Acceptance For First Time Prospective Students
- Virtual Autumn Graduation 2021
- House Committee Elections
- Court Order – Forums Threat
- ENVISION 2030
- Late Enquiries for a Programme Form
- Why Choose DUT
- Fees Booklet
- “Missing Middle” application form
- NSFAS New Students
- Honorary Doctorates
- DUTLink Newsletter
- DUTCONNECT Magazine
- Lecture Timetables
- Association of Commonwealth Universities
Our Facebook Page
Careers at DUT
To view the adverts simply click on the title below to show the adverts.
Newspaper Advert - Academic Positions
nGAP Lecturer (Post Ref. NG26)
Salary: Negotiable up to R450 000 (TCOE)
The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in partnership with Durban University of Technology (DUT) is embarking on an initiative to build a new generation of academics. Phase 7 of the Staffing South Africa’s Universities Framework (SSAUF) is called the New Generation of Academics Programme and is aimed at attracting people with relevant qualifications and experience to pursue a Doctoral qualification while they are developing as proficient academics at the University. Successful candidates will engage in comprehensive support programmes that include a salary, mentorship, equipment, cost of tuition fees, etc.
Only South Africans who are 40 years or younger from the designated and underrepresented groups will be considered.
The University is looking for aspirant academics in the following academic discipline:
- Video Technology
- A Masters’ degree in Television, Film or Media Studies.
Additional Requirements to the Above:
- Teach theories, history and business of film and television
Additional Recommendation to the above:
- At least 3 years’ experience in the field of professional television or film production would be an advantage.
Summary of duties:
- Work routinely towards completing a doctoral degree.
- Competent preparation and delivery of learning material related to Video Technology students at undergraduate and post-graduate level.
- Undertake assessment and administration duties related to teaching and learning, and research.
- Facilitate learning effectively through traditional and online mediums.
- Become involved in community engagement projects.
- Working collegially with team members towards attaining the goals of the department, faculty and institution.
Conditions of Employment:
In accepting an NGAP appointment, the incumbent will have to:
- Commit to full participation in the 6 year New Generation of Academics Programme (nGAP)
- Commit to registering for Doctoral studies (as applicable) within 3 months of taking up the nGAP appointment. Please note that nGAP appointees who already hold a doctorate will be required to undertake a higher teaching/research load.
- Commit to work closely with the supervisor and mentor assigned to him/her and to adhere to the study plan and milestones developed with the supervisor and mentor.
- Commit to participate in the SSAUF Development Programme, which will involve participation in at least one short course/module per year focused on research or teaching development.
- Agree that s/he cannot accept any other funding from state sources that duplicates the purpose for which funding has already been allocated to me through the nGAP.
- Agree that s/he cannot accept any other funding for projects that conflict with obligations that arise from participating in the nGAP.
- Agree to inform the University and the Department of Higher Education and Training of any other funding that s/he have been offered before accepting such funding.
- Agree that should s/he leave the nGAP position before successfully completing the 6-year programme, s/he will be obliged to reimburse the nGAP fund by repaying the University the following costs incurred up to the point of leaving.
8.1 Registration and tuition fees for postgraduate studies, where applicable.
8.2 Costs associated with the assignment of a mentor to support development.
8.3 Costs incurred for his/her participation in the SSAUF-Development Programme.
8.4 Costs of infrastructure and equipment provided to support his/her work in the nGAP.
8.5 Any conference/international mobility costs paid by the nGAP and,
8.6 10% of salary costs paid by the nGAP up to the point of leaving.
9. Agree to participate in research, monitoring and evaluation activities focused on the nGAP, including participating in an exit interview upon leaving or completing the programme.
Contact Person: Ms G Govindasamy
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Status of Position: Permanent
Closing date: 26 July 2021
Newspaper Advert - Administrative Positions
Senior Technician / Technician Position in Electrical Power Engineering (EPE), Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
Applications are invited from interested person(s) for the under mentioned fulltime technical post at the Steve Biko Campus of the University. Applicants for this position must have the requisite qualifications, expertise and experience in electrical power engineering, technology management or closely related field with a focus on electrical, electronic, electromechanical and electromagnetic systems: electrical machinery and drives technology, electrical/electronic circuits, power system protection and control technology, high power electronics technology, industrial electronics technology, high voltage engineering technology, and/or electro-mechanical/sensor technologies, with demonstrated practical excellence in conducting practical experiments for laboratories, students projects and students experiential raining. Experience with electrical wiring and networks, condition monitoring and troubleshooting, renewable energy sources and use of technical software is an advantage. Candidates with prior experience in laboratory management, engineering technology software tools such as Power World, ETAP and/or Dlg SILENT Power factory are preferred. All candidates must have good written and oral communication skills; have a willingness to take direction from the Head of Department and work harmoniously with colleagues in a collegial manner as part of a departmental technical team.
The dynamic Department of Electrical Power Engineering at Durban University of Technology plays a critical role in training skills and equipping the workforce in technology relating to electric power systems (including lines), HVDC and power electronics relating to AC systems in a smart grid utility environment. Our focus is on: Building Capacity in Electric Power and HVDC Engineering; Smart Grids and Renewable Energy Technologies; Research, Independent Testing & Verification Services; and Power System Solutions and Smart Utility services. DUT-EPE Department concurrently offers the following programs: Bachelor of Technology (BTech); Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BEng Tech), and Postgraduate studies leading to the Master of Engineering (MEng) and Doctor of Engineering (D Eng.) programs. In addition to these, we’ll be embarking on the Bachelor of Engineering Technology Honours (BEng Tech Hons) from 2021, and master’s degree program (with coursework+ research). The department is therefore seeking for suitable and highly motivated technical candidates who embrace and support the broad vision for the discipline and emerging areas in modern electrical power and energy systems who can take advantage of the opportunities offered by Industry 4.0 and provide technical support to the group’s core expertise, and provide strong support for real world projects. The successful candidate will oversee a team of technicians, manage and develop laboratory facilities, carry out maintenance and repairs of hardware in laboratories and offices; in support of undergraduate and graduate courses and students; and discharge such duties as will be assigned by the Head of Department.
Only applications with certified documents attached (ID, Qualifications) will be considered. Applicants must apply using the Appointment Application forms available on the University Website.
Senior Technician (Post#: M315)
- Applicants for this position must have a suitable Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech or equivalent) degree in electrical power engineering, technology management or closely related field.
- At least 5 years technical experience/professional/industrial experience
Duties include, but no limited to:
- Reports to the Head of Department and provides oversight of all the technical staff and laboratory facilities in the Department.
- Ensures laboratories under management control, are maintained in full functional state and safe working condition to facilitate a disciplined and efficient execution of students practical and projects.
- Support and assist academic staff in designing new practical experiments for laboratories, while the lecturer remains overall responsible.
- Provides technical advice and support to staff and students on fault finding methodology, trouble shooting.
- Supervises experiential training through monitoring/ guiding students in respect to their technical projects.
- Serve as Invigilator for examinations and Tests under a Chief Invigilator.
- Coordinate repairs and maintenance of hardware in laboratories and offices.
- Undertake fault finding and troubleshooting tasks on Departmental hardware facilities and software tool.
- Provide overall control for the effective functioning of Open Laboratory sessions, and other such duties as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
Technician (Post#: 398)
- Applicants for this position must have a suitable National Diploma (or equivalent) in electrical power engineering or closely related field.
- At least 2 years technical experience/professional/industrial experience
Duties include, but no limited to:
Reports to the Senior Technician provides oversight of the assigned laboratory facilities in the Department. Ensures laboratories under management control, are maintained in full functional state and safe working condition to facilitate a disciplined and efficient execution of students practical and projects.
- Assists academic staff in regularly assessing student’s performance through practical assessment.
- Provide resources and technical support to students for their practical and projects. Serve as Invigilator for examinations and Tests under the Chief Invigilator.
- Carry our maintenance of laboratory equipment, including repair and changing of components, e.g. fuses.
- Provide assistance and coordination of Open lab Sessions.
- Maintain an Inventory of all laboratory equipment and liaising with University Asset Management unit. Control the issuing of equipment and consumable stock usage, while updating stock registry of consumables and equipment.
- Undertake fault finding and troubleshooting tasks on Departmental hardware facilities and software tools. Monitor consumable and equipment stock and coordinate the purchase of consumable and capital items., and other such duties as may be assigned by the Senior Technician.
Summary of Duties:
- The successful candidate would be required to serve at all levels in the qualifications offered in the Department in the designated capacity.
- The successful candidate is required to serve both undergrad and post-graduate students, and actively involved in supporting research activities in the Department.
- Assist with administrative duties such as venue set-up for seminars, lectures, practical and actively involved in the development of our laboratories, with state-of-the-art facilities and carry out other duties as prescribed by the Head of Department or Representative.
- Good communication, effective people management skills and adherence to workplace etiquette.
- Strong inter-personal skills in managing students of diversity and working with a diverse pool of staff.
- A strong passion for technical investigations, troubleshooting, repairs and creative development of laboratory.
- Aptitude to learn Engineering application software, improve and engage in professional development activities.
- Good track record or relevant experience and desire to advance technical development in the Department.
Salary Grade: 09 – Senior Technician
Salary Scale: R278 076 (min) to R465 480 (max) per annum, plus benefits
Salary Grade: 10 – Technician
Salary Scale: R240 036 (min) to R401 916 (max) per annum, plus benefits
Contact Person: S Patchappan
Closing date: 04 August 2021
FACULTY RESEARCH COORDINATORS
Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment
(REF. FE 13}
- A Master’s degree or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience in Higher Education in Research or in Research Coordination and promotion
- Must have a record of publications, research outputs and/or creative outputs.
- Evidence of successful postgraduate supervision
- Experience and insight into the requirements needed to establish and maintain a research office.
- Experience with research grant applications
- Experience with external funding agencies
- Experience with website development
- Dashboard reporting on Excel
Summary of Duties:
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide data for Annual Research reports
- Interface between students, supervisors and examiners.
- Prepare documents to be sent to the Higher Degrees Committee for ratification.
- Prepare minutes and agenda of monthly Faculty Research Committee meetings.
- Play a more academic role in the research initiatives.
- Initiating research in departments that are not research active.
- Interface between staff and the Research Office
- Capture, collate and report on data as and when required by the Executive Dean.
- Arrange Faculty Research seminars, workshops and Conferences.
- Any other duties as required in the Faculty and by the Executive Dean Summary of Duties:
- The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Tracking and monitoring of Postgraduate students.
- Support of postgraduate students and departments with regard to all processes from registration to graduation, approval of project proposals, study panels, final titles and external examiners/ assessors.
- Maintain an accurate database on all research activities and update website
- Follow up on reports from conference attendance, postgraduate students and supervisors, work load relief and.sabbaticals, annual focus and niche area reports.
- Coordinate internal review of external funding applications
Salary Grade: 07
Salary Scale: R387 276 (min) to R648 228 (max) per annum, plus benefits
Contact Person: S Patchappan
Publication: Internal notice board
Closing date: 04 August 2021
COMPUTER TECHNICIAN (SCIENCE) REF: (IC13)
- A relevant Diploma or Degree in IT or related field
- Three (3) years’ experience in IT as a Computer Technician or equivalent level
- Conversant with buying/procurement procedures
- Communication Skills – written/verbal/presentation in English
- Demonstration Skills
Summary of Duties
- Assists the Head of School in the implementation of policies, procedures and systems for effective running of laboratories.
- Ensure that the computer laboratories are maintained in a fully functional and safe condition.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, e.g. repairing computers, installing software, configuring network
- Sets up and assists academic staff and student with computer related problems when required.
- Give technical advice to students.
- Maintain a stock register to control equipment and consumable usage.
- Co-ordinate and place online requisitions for the purchase of consumables as required for all practical sessions and capital items as per DUT policy.
- Supervise experiential training through mentoring.
- Assists Head of School regarding the purchase of new equipment and formulation of departmental budgets.
- Institute laboratory staff meetings on a regular basis to ensure effective running of the laboratories.
- Good communication and laboratory management skills.
|Status of Position||:||Permanent|
|Contact Person||:||Ms P Dlamini|
|Appointment Type||:||Academic Support|
|Salary||:||R240 036 – R401 916 plus benefits|
CLOSING DATE : 30 July 2021
Adverts on PNET
“The University reserves the right not to appoint” or to re-advertise to widen the pool of applicants
Verification will be conducted on preferred candidates only.
DUT reserves the right to do a complete verification of the information you have provided.
DUT reserves the right to contact your referees or request additional referees.
While DUT strives for equal opportunities, preference will be given in terms of the University’s EquityPlan, with specific consideration for Female candidates.
Candidates must be fluent in English and must be in possession of a valid work permit.
This information has been supplied by the Department of Human Resources at the Durban University of Technology.