MEDIA STATEMENT BY ALAN KHAN, SENIOR DIRECTOR OF CORPORATE AFFAIRS AT THE DURBAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
The Durban University of Technology Community will on Friday, 17 July 2015 and on Saturday, 18 July 2015, commemorate Nelson Mandela Day by giving back to the local community, including various organisations in Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
The events will be held as follows:
Friday, 17 July 2015
- HIV/AIDS Peer Educators, together with the Msunduzi Municipality’s HIV/AIDS Unit will have an outreach programme at the Isandla Esihle Disability Centre, Sinathing area near DUT and the Msunduzi Municipality team will hand over some warm clothes and furniture as well as a garden for the kids living at the centre. For more details, contact Bawinile Mngoma, Health Promoter at the DUT Midlands Centre at email@example.com.
- The Department of Homeopathy’s Dr David Naude and Dr Jabu Ngobane will conduct their community outreach programme at the Ukuba Nsibindi site in Warwick Triangle from 8h00 to 12h00. The Department’s Dr Silvana Nienaber will visit the Redhill Community Clinic at 8h00to 12h00. All three doctors will do blood pressure and acute cases drive and also attend to general health queries. For more information contact: Dr Cornelia Hall (Head of Department and Senior Lecture at the Department of Homoepathy) on: 031 373 2514/ firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Gandhi Development Trust, together with Accord will be doing an upgrade at the Phoenix Settlement in Inanda. GDT will leave ML Sultan at 8h30. For more information, contact Nompumelelo Zuma at email@example.com.
- The DUT Writing Centre will visit The Nest shelter at 2 Winder Street. All DUT Writing Centres based in Durban will make 67 sandwiches and purchase fruit for distribution to the shelter. The team will meet at DUT’s City Campus at 9h00 and make its way to the Shelter. On its return, the Centre will do a clean-up of the park across the DUT City Campus. For more information contact, Thomas Amani Soswa, Director of The Nest, on 072 325 8358/ (031) 368 2010 or Nereshnie Govender on (031) 373 6701/ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who are part of the DUT GCI (Green Campus Initiative), together with staff from the University’s Student Housing and Resident Life Department will clean-up and plant new trees at the garden behind the Berea Residence on the Steve Biko Campus. For more information, contact Mfaniseni Mnguni on 079 481 2699 or Siyanda Dube on 073 386 3782.
Saturday- 18 July 2015
- The Department of Fashion and Textiles is collecting toys, clothes and any other goodies to contribute to the WE ARE DURBAN Foundation. The handover of the proceeds from the donations will take place on Saturday, 18 July 2015. The students from the Department will also (on Saturday) assist at a market that the foundation will be having. For more information, contact Fezile Mdletshe, Lecturer and Master’s student at the Department of Fashion and Textiles on (031) 373 3737/ email@example.com.
The Gandhi Development Trust (GDT) will return to the Phoenix Settlement, alongside other invited groups, to clean and paint the settlement. For more information, contact Nompumelelo Zuma at firstname.lastname@example.org.