- Autumn Graduation Ceremonies 2023
- Amended Academic Calendar 2023
- Application and Registration Information 2023
- Study Opportunities 2023
- Spring Graduation Ceremonies 2022
- SRC Online Elections 2022
- Autumn Graduation Ceremonies 2022
- Virtual Autmn Graduation 2022
- Court Order 29 Mar 2022
- Court Interdict application 28 Mar 2022
- Court Order 17 Feb 2022
- Issued Court Interdict 16 Feb 2022
- Orientation 2022
- SRC Online Elections 2021
- How do I apply?
- Closing Dates for 2022 programmes
- Career Leaflets
- Online Acceptance For First Time Prospective Students
- House Committee Elections
- Court Order – Forums Threat
- Late Enquiries for a Programme Form
- Why Choose DUT
- Fees Booklet
- “Missing Middle” application form
- NSFAS New Students
- Honorary Doctorates
- DUTLink Newsletter
- DUTCONNECT Magazine
- Lecture Timetables
- Association of Commonwealth Universities
Our Facebook Page
The 1st International Conference on Maritime Education and Development (ICMED)
23-24 November 2020
Durban, South Africa
ICMED PROGRAMME 2020
BACKGROUND / ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
New technologies based on artificial intelligence and bioinformatics influence the role of (wo)men in society, the way of life, education and business, in almost all spheres, including maritime sector.
Shall (wo)men still be in the very centre of the whole story in the future?
The purpose of this conference is exchange of knowledge, experiences and ideas in the domain of its thematic areas, with the ultimate goal of generating new knowledge and implementing smart strategies and actions.
Gathering of maritime academic and business communities should bring research and education closer to the needs of labour market. Within this context it should not be forgotten that historically positive vector of economic growth and development, should keep maritime ecological footprint within the limits of relevant standards.
The aim of the ICMED 2020 is to present and discuss contributions, studies, works, thesis and projects on the latest results of maritime cluster in order to enhance maritime education and the students’ (especially future seafarers) employability. It is also an opportunity to share and discuss the results of the research Erasmus+ project EURO ZA on improving MET in Europe and South Africa where DUT is one of the partners.
Gathering of researchers, scientists, academics, professionals, and entrepreneurs involved in maritime education, business, industry and administration should bring research and education closer to each other, and to the labor market, as well.
- DUT, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Maritime Studies Department
- DUT, Communication, Navigation and Surveillance (CNS) Centre
- Moses Kotane Institute (MKI)
- EThekwini Maritime Cluster (EMK)
- Ethekwini Municipality
- Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST)
Theme of the Conference
- The 4 Industrial Revolution (4IR)
- Unmanned air/sea surface/underwater vehicles (UxV)
- Digital divide and Internet accessibility
- Digital infrastructure
- Adopting new technologies: Concerning real needs and preferences
- Digitalization of Maritime Cluster
- Maritime education and training in digital age
- Curriculum should meet the challenges of the 21st century
- Sea Traffic Management (STM)
- IMO E-navigation strategy
- Smart-ship concept (nautical and engineering)
- Energy management on board (nautical and engineering)
- Automation and digitalization (nautical and engineering)
- Safety and security (nautical and engineering)
- Environmental awareness and protection (nautical and engineering)
- Cyber security (nautical and engineering)
- New business models in the context of Internet of Things (IoT)/Internet of Everything (IoE)
- Digitalization and labour market
- Marine environment issues
- Smart ports
- Port cities
- Smart shipping
- Human or “post-human” seafaring?
- What seafarers have to say?
- Could “non-users” survive in maritime domain?
- Women in maritime
- Maritime future
Authors are required to submit abstracts in English of no more than 250 words, emphasizing the topics, originality of the work, main results and possible applications.
Abstract should contain author(s):
- Title, full name and surname
- Affiliation, city, country
- E-mail address, telephone (cell or office), fax and postal address
Abstracts should be sent to:
Prof. Sanja Bauk: firstname.lastname@example.org and SanjaB@dut.ac.za
The scientific committee will review all the abstracts and later papers. All accepted papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings.
- Abstract submission date: 31 March 2020
- Abstract acceptance notification: 30 April 2020
- Final paper submission: 30 June 2020
- Paper acceptance notification: 31 August 2020
- Conference: 23-24 November 2020
The Conference will be organized virtually on 23-24 November 2020. The attendees will be allowed to connect, share information and ask questions to the Conference speakers. More detail about access to the online sessions and podcast components will be uploaded on the site and send via mail to the prospective participants and attendees in due course.
The language of the ICMED 2020 Conference will be English.
The Conference Proceedings containing the full typescript of all contributions will be published electronically by Springer. If the authors are interested to acquire a high standard book on demand, copies should be required through the Conference Secretariat when the authors pay the conference fees. Conference Proceedings will have ISBN and be submitted for indexing in Scopus.
Papers should be min 5 to max 10 pages in length. The Template for writing the paper should be found here.
Registration fees are reduced to 200 USD in order to support the papers’ editing and managing costs. Payment deadline is 30 September 2020.
- Papers’ editing costs
- Management costs
Legal entity name: The Durban University of Technology
Name of account holder: DURBAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
Registration/Identity/Passport number: UNKNOWN
Account number: 050007068
Account reference: FMT9
Account type: BUSINESS CURRENT ACCOUNT
Branch code: 040026
Branch code (electronic payment): 051001
SWIFT address: SBZA ZA JJ
Date account opened: 11 April 2002
Ms. Arshna Ramouthar
Maritime Studies Department
Faculty of Applied Sciences
Durban University of Technology
70 Steve Biko Road, S6, L5
Tel. +27 31 373 2144
Fax. +27 31 373 2137