International Education And Partnerships
The Central Applications Office (CAO) processes applications for first-time admission to universities in KwaZulu-Natal, including DUT. You may apply to several institutions at the same time via the CAO (www.cao.ac.za). All international undergraduate and postgraduate applicants should apply as early as possible. Applications for Master’s and Doctoral studies do not go through the CAO, but are made directly to the relevant departments. You will need a letter of acceptance from the chosen department, as well as a Letter of Undertaking from the International Office before you can apply for your study permit.
Equivalent international qualifications
The following qualifications are considered to be equivalent to the South African entry requirements:
- Any General Certificate of Education (GCE), or General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) that is quality assured by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE), provided that the holder of such a Certificate has, at one or more examination sitting(s), passed a minimum of five approved Ordinary (O) Level subjects, of which:
|(a). at least four must be at symbols A, B or C;|
|(b). no more than one may be a symbol D; and|
|(c). at least one must be English Language or English Literature.|
- Certain other international qualifications. Further details are obtainable from the Student Admissions Office or relevant Faculty Office.
Other international qualifications
If you have foreign qualifications and wish to study in South Africa, the department to which you are applying may require you to apply to the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) or the Matriculation Board to have your qualification evaluated. Those applying for diploma programmes need a SAQA evaluation, and those applying for degree programmes need a Matriculation Board evaluation.
What you should do
- Obtain the application form from the SAQA offices or download it from the SAQA website (saqa.org.za), or complete your application online on the SAQA website.
- Complete all the sections of the application form.
- Ensure that proof of the necessary payment (always to be made in ZAR currency) accompanies the application.
- Provide legible and certified copies of all required documents.
- Provide a certified copy of a legitimate identification document.
- Certificates in foreign languages must be accompanied by sworn translations into English. NOTE: SAQA needs both the document in the original language and the sworn translation.
Who to contact
Evaluation of Foreign Qualifications Call Centre:
Tel: +27124315070 or 0860103188
General Enquiries Switchboard:
Address: SAQA House, 1067 Arcadia Street, Hatfield, Pretoria; or: Postnet Suite 248, Private Bag X06, Waterkloof, 0145
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 08h30 – 16h30.
Thursday: 09h00 – 16h30.
Matriculation Board Application
For Matriculation Board evaluations log onto http://mb.usaf.ac.za.
Who to contact