Departments Accounting & Informatics
|Handbook||Postgraduate Prospectus 2019||Ritson Timetables||More about our department||Information Sheet||IT Timetables||Staff|
Join us on facebook follow us on twitter @ITdeptDUT
Being the largest department in this faculty, the popularity of this department is reflected in the large number (approximately 500) first year students it takes in annually. Students have the opportunity to choose from the following streams: Bachelor of ICT, Diploma ICT Applications Development and Diploma ICT Business Analysis & Postgraduate Programmes
- The Bachelor of ICT : This new CHE-accredited Degree offering in BICT is offered for the first time in 2019. The department may accept a limited number of students into the second or third year of study, who’s BICT Programme aligns with the University, subject to availability of space.
- The Diploma in ICT in Applications Development: The CHE-accredited Diploma offering in ICT (Applications Development) commenced in 2016. An augmented 4-year curriculum is devised in order to enhance student development and to improve the student’s chances of successful completion. The department may accept a limited number of students into the second or third year of study, who’s ICT Programme aligns with the University, subject to availability of space.
- The Diploma in ICT in Business Analysis The CHE-accredited Diploma offering in ICT (Business Analysis) commenced in 2017. The department may accept a limited number of students into the second or third year of study, who’s ICT Programme aligns with the University, subject to availability of space. Normal duration is 3 years full-time
- The Diploma in ICT in Applications Development (4 year Foundation) is an augmented 4-year curriculum devised to enhance the student development and to improve the student’s chances of successful completion.
- The B Tech IT, and B Tech FIS programmes are in phase out, and no new applications are being accepted for these programmes.
- Update to 2020 application process for Higher Certificate in Information Technology:Despite the Higher Certificate details were not included in the printed CAO Handbook for 2020, prospective students must still apply for the Higher Certificate in Information Technology through the CAO.
It is available as a programme offered at DUT. The CAO code for the Higher Certificate in IT is: DU-D-HIT.
Postgraduate Graduates : The department offers two postgraduate qualifications namely,
- Master of Information and Communication Technology (MICT)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Information Technology (PhD).
Both postgraduate programmes are full research programmes requiring submission of a full-thesis for examination. There is no coursework
This department is a trailblazer and is proud to be the first department of the institution to offer access to and support for Deaf students registered for the National Diploma in Information Technology. Access was first granted to the Deaf students in 2000. The department has 3 staff dedicated to assisting Deaf students in all spheres of their student life: a Co-ordinator of the Programme and two South African Sign Language Interpreters. To date, approximately 18 students have graduated with their Diplomas in IT and in 2017 the first Deaf student completed the Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology. Deaf students who wish to register for the Diploma in ICT (Applications Development) must meet the requirements for the 4-year Foundation programme as listed in the handbook. Interpreters help to ensure that students are exposed to the same academic material and assessments as the mainstream students and that standards remain high.
National Diploma Financial Information Systems Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Technology Financial Information Systems (Phased out – no new registration for 2020)
Information & Communications Technology Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Information & Communications Technology Degree Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Technology Information Technology (Phased out – no new registration for 2020)
Postgraduate Degree in Information Technology: Masters and PhD
Secondment of Dr P. Mtshali
The appointment of Dr P Mtshali, the HoD of IT will act as the Director of ITSS.
Dr Alveen Singh will be recommended for consideration as the acting HoD to work closely with Dr Mtshali in order to enable him perform optimally within the period of the secondment.
Head of Department: Dr PQT Mtshali Secretary: Ms W Xulu
Tel: 031 373 5640
Fax: 031 373 5598
Location: 2nd Floor IT Block (East Wing)
Campus: Ritson Campus
Tel: 031 373 5446
Fax: 031 373 5598
Location: 2nd Floor IT Block (East and West Wing)
Campus: Ritson Campus
Head of Department: Dr PQT Mtshali
Secretary: Ms W Xulu