Industries in the Durban area, have in their employ, manufacturing floor staff and general assistants with years of related experience but no formal qualification in microbiology or theoretical knowledge to support this practical experience. This short course aims to fill that gap and influence competence with better understanding. There have been calls from industry for this specific short course.
Who Should Attend
This course addresses the needs of microbiology and food handling industries that operate on-site laboratories. Those working in a microbiology environment and wishing to update or refresh their skills should attend this course.
Contents of The Course
Upon completion, attendees will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge base to be more skilled and competent in the microbiology laboratory with relevance to aseptic technique.
- Obtain an insight and understanding of stock cultures, record keeping and waste disposal
- Differentiate between good and bad laboratory practice.
- Be aware of:
- Laboratory Safety Rules and Regulations (theory)
- Aseptic Procedures (theory and practical)
- Laboratory contamination and sources (theory and practical)
- Sampling procedures and media (air, surface, humans, equipment) (theory and practical)
- Know your chemicals (theory)
- Biological and Chemical Waste and Effluent Control and Disposal (theory and demonstration)
- Laboratory Equipment (Laminars, Autoclaves, Ovens, fume hoods, gas cylinders) (theory, demonstration and practical)
Assessments: Written assignments and assessments will be given during the course.
Duration and Dates: 2 days including practical sessions – 19-20 June and 6-7 November 2019
Cost: R 3850
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 031 373 5321