Departments Engineering & the Built Environment
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering and Geomatics (Durban)
- Civil Engineering (Midlands)
- Construction Management and Quantity Surveying
- Electrical Power Engineering
- Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Town and Regional Planning
- Urban Futures Centre
It is the most general of all the industry-based occupations, ranging across every stage of the manufacturing process and including design, draughting, assembly, quality control, plant operation, maintenance and management. Mechanical Engineering owes this generality to the diverse interests of the founding fathers of the Industrial Revolution: Brunel, who built railways and ships; Maudslay, who pioneered precision machines and meteorological instruments; Newcome, who developed the first practical steam engine and mine pumps; and Watt, who invented the condenser and a whole variety of mechanical mechanisms.
To graduate fit for purpose Mechanical Engineering professionals and provide innovate and appropriate solutions tom our stakeholders.
1. To equip our students with specialist knowledge in the field of either design or mechatronics.
2. To be recognized as leaders in composites and moulded plastics research and development.
3. To partner with our Governmental Organisations, Non-Government Organisations, State Owned Enterprises, Professional Bodies and Industry in order to solve engineering problems timeously.
Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BEngTech) in Mechanical Engineering Entrance Requirements
Bachelor of Technology (BTech): Engineering: Mechanical Entrance Requirements
Master of Engineering (MEng): Mechanical Entrance Requirements
Doctor of Engineering (DEng): Mechanical Entrance Requirements
NOTE: Phase out of information for the BTech in Mechanical Engineering
As gazetted in the Government Gazette, Vol. 613, No. 40123, 06 July 2016, the last date for first time entering students enrolling in academic programmes that are not aligned with the Higher Education Qualifications Sub-Framework is the 31st December 2019. This means that you will not be able to enroll for a Bachelor (BTech) Degree at DUT, or at any other institution in South Africa after this date.
Applications to this programme must be made via the Central Applications Office (CAO):
Tel: 031 268 4444
|Head of Department: Dr FM Mwangi
Tel: 031 373 2957
Location: Steve Biko Campus, S5 Level 3
|Secretary: Mrs A van Wyk
Tel: 031 373 2115
Fax: 031 373 2139
Location: Steve Biko Campus, S5 Level3